Picture this; You have been involved in an accident in someone else’s vehicle, do you think there is an insurance coverage or policy that covers you as a passenger? The circumstances that surrounds the accident is what the answer to that question is based on. Are passengers covered by car insurance is one question that motorists ask continuously. Only an experienced lawyer can help in figuring out parties that are liable for the accident as well as helping you to recover through compensation.
Are Passengers Covered By Car Insurance
Filing Claim As A Passenger
In a state like California for example which is a no fault state, accident victims as well as passengers are allowed to file a claim against any driver that is at fault for an accident. The at fault driver in this case could either be driving the vehicle the injured passenger was riding in or could be driving the other vehicle that hit the one the injured passenger was riding in. In California, the law requires vehicle owners to have liability coverage on their vehicles. This is mandatory because it is part of the state financial responsibility laws.
This coverage would be used in paying for damages as a result of an accident caused by a policyholder. The minimum coverage amounts range includes;
- Thirty thousand dollars bodily injured suffered by more than one person
- Fifteen thousand dollars bodily injured suffered by just one person
- Five thousand dollars property damage
If you are already part of the at fault driver’s insurance policy then you might not be allowed to file a claim against the liability coverage that you policy carries. You can however be able to file a compensation for payment of medical bills if the insurance policy has Med Pay coverage. This coverage is present irrespective of who is at fault for the accident.
Named Driver Exclusion
It is possible for certain drivers to tell their insurance companies to omit some names from their insurance coverage. This is done in a bid to reduce their premiums and because they driver they would love to exclude might actually be considered as a high risk. This is very possible if the driver in question here has a bad driving record or has a DUI.
Do’s And Dont’s Of Injured Passengers
As a passenger, if you have been involved in a car accident when you suffered some injuries there are quite some things that you can do in days or some weeks. These things includes;
- Ask the drivers involved in the car accident for their insurance and contact information
- Make contact with the police so an investigation can be carried out and report can be filed
- If you are injured, ensure you seek medical attention
- It is wrong to give a recorded statement because insurance companies might end up using it against you
- It is wrong for you to sign any document without consulting with your lawyer at first. The document might include medical records release and written statements
- It is wrong for you to agree to getting settlement for your claims right away. You should consider talking to your lawyer first and find out more about the value of your claims. It is also possible for your lawyer to handle your claims on your behalf so you can get a better compensation amount
Why Buying Passenger Cover Is Important
It is common for most people to think that buying passenger cover is a waste of money. You would need to have those thoughts again. Would you have the same thoughts if you were riding with your wife and kids and get involved in a car accident? In times like this, having a proper insurance coverage that would offer the driver and passenger coverage helps in taking away some stress. We have identified the following reasons why it is important to get passenger cover;
- Helps in cutting down stress after being involved in a car accident
- Helps in cutting down on financial stress. Having passenger cover also enables you to file a claim for treatment of your passenger without taking money out of your own pocket
- If you drive a commercial vehicle, having passenger cover would help in preventing legal liabilities especially if you ply passengers on a regular basis
In a modern world like this, it is important for all car owners to have passenger cover in their insurance policy. This is simply because it guarantees the safety of anybody riding with you.
How Much Money Can A Passenger In A Car Accident Get
A passenger involved in a car accident would come face to face with an element of helplessness. They are at the mercy of the person driving the car and at the same time, they are left wondering if they can file for compensation if they get involved in an accident. The answer to this question is YES. You can actually file for a personal injury claim as a passenger only if you suspect being injured or if you are injured. To be sure, it is advisable for you to seek medical attention immediately.
Your health should be your main priority if you get involved in a car accident If you intend filing a claim or not, all of your medical records and expenses should be documented and you should also consult with a lawyer as soon as possible. However, there are two factors that can have an impact on how much a passenger would get from a car accident personal injury claim.
- Receiving compensation for your medical bills and this could have a negative impact on ones finance especially if a lot of time is spent at the hospital for recovery and also if multiple procedures has been undergone while treating the injury.
- Financial loss which includes lost wages as a result of being absent from work either because you were at home recovering or in the hospital receiving treatment
All of these factors would be carefully evaluated in order to determine how much compensation you would receive as a passenger involved in a car accident. The severity of a passengers injury and also pain and suffering determines what the average settlement amount would be for a passenger involved in an accident.