Picture this; You have been involved in an accident in someone else’s vehicle. Do you think there is insurance coverage or policy that covers you as a passenger? The circumstances that surround the accident are what the answer to that question is based on. Are passengers covered by car insurance is one question that motorists ask continuously. Only an experienced lawyer can help figure out parties that are liable for the accident as well as helping you to recover through compensation.
Are Passengers Covered By Car Insurance
Filing Claim As A Passenger
In a state like California, for example, which is a no-fault state, accident victims and passengers are allowed to file a claim against any driver that is at fault for an accident. The at-fault driver, in this case, could either be driving the vehicle the injured passenger was riding in or could be driving the other vehicle that hit the one the injured passenger was riding in. In California, the law requires vehicle owners to have liability coverage on their vehicles. This is mandatory because it is part of the state financial responsibility laws.
They would use this coverage in paying for damages due to an accident caused by a policyholder. The minimum coverage amounts range includes;
- Thirty thousand dollars bodily injuries suffered by more than one person
- Fifteen thousand dollars bodily injuries suffered by just one person
- Five thousand dollars property damage
If you are already part of the at-fault driver’s insurance policy, then you might not be allowed to file a claim against the liability coverage that your policy carries. You can, however, be able to file compensation for payment of medical bills if the insurance policy has Med Pay coverage. This coverage is present irrespective of who is at fault for the accident.
Named Driver Exclusion
Certain drivers can tell their insurance companies to omit some names from their insurance coverage. This is done to reduce their premiums and because the driver they would love to exclude might actually be considered high risk. This is possible if the driver in question here has a bad driving record or has a DUI.
Do’s And Dont’s Of Injured Passengers
As a passenger, if you have been involved in a car accident when you suffered some injuries, there are quite some things that you can do in days or some weeks. These things include;
- Ask the drivers involved in the car accident for their insurance and contact information.
- Make contact with the police so you can carry out an investigation and you can file a report.
- If you are injured, ensure you seek medical attention
- It is wrong to give a recorded statement because insurance companies might end up using it against you
- It is wrong for you to sign any document without consulting with your lawyer at first. The document might include medical records release and written statements
- It is wrong for you to agree to get a settlement for your claims right away. You should consider talking to your lawyer first and find out more about the value of your claims. It is also possible for your lawyer to handle your claims on your behalf so you can get a better compensation amount
Why Buying Passenger Cover Is Important
It is common for most people to think that buying passenger cover is a waste of money. You would need to have those thoughts again. Would you have the same thoughts about riding with your wife and kids and getting involved in a car accident? Having a proper insurance coverage that would offer the driver and passenger coverage helps take away some stress. We have identified the following reasons why it is important to get passenger cover;
- Helps in cutting down stress after being involved in a car accident
- Helps in cutting down on financial stress. Having passenger cover also enables you to file a claim for treatment of your passenger without taking money out of your own pocket
- If you drive a commercial vehicle, having passenger cover would help in preventing legal liabilities, especially if you ply passengers regularly
In a modern world like this, all car owners need to have passenger cover in their insurance policy. This is simply because it guarantees the safety of anybody riding with you.
How Much Money Can A Passenger In A Car Accident Get
A passenger involved in a car accident would come face to face with an element of helplessness. They are at the mercy of the person driving the car, and at the same time, they are left wondering if they can file for compensation if they get involved in an accident. The answer to this question is YES. You can actually file for a personal injury claim as a passenger only if you suspect being injured or if you are injured. To be sure, you should seek medical attention immediately.
Your health should be your main priority if you get involved in a car accident. If you intend to file a claim or not, all of your medical records and expenses should be documented, and you should also consult with a lawyer as soon as possible. However, two factors can impact how much a passenger would get from a car accident personal injury claim.
- Receiving compensation for your medical bills and this could have a negative impact on ones finance especially if a lot of time is spent at the hospital for recovery and if multiple procedures have been undergone while treating the injury.
- Financial loss includes lost wages due to being absent from work either because you were at home recovering or in the hospital receiving treatment.
They would carefully evaluate all of these factors to determine how much compensation you would receive as passengers involved in a car accident. The severity of a passenger’s injury and pain and suffering determine the average settlement amount for a passenger involved in an accident.