No matter how minor a car accident might be, they tend to be traumatic in most cases. The shock a person might experience after getting involved in a car accident might alter the way he or she thinks as well as what they might do next. In other cases, the psychological effects of being involved in a car accident might result into a more serious injury and this is why it is very important for one to act swiftly after getting injured in a car accident. How long after a car accident can i claim injury is what most people are urging to find out and trust this review to tell you all that you need to know.
Truth is after getting injured in a car accident, you might have a little amount of time to seek compensation. This is what we refer to as the statute of limitation. The statute of limitation implies the amount of time a person has to file a lawsuit against another person or party for negligent driving. How fast you tend to report a personal injury would depend on if you are filing a personal injury lawsuit or if you are filing an insurance claim. You should be aware of ways to protect yourself if you have been hurt in a car accident.
How Long After A Car Accident Can I Claim Injury
If you want your claim to have some strength then you first need to seek medical attention after getting involved in a car accident and you should be able to prove that during trial. Injuries like Whiplash which people suffer as a result of a car accident tends not to show up immediately after a car accident. What we are trying to say is the longer the time, the harder it gets to prove that your injuries were as a result of the car accident you were involved in. You should do the following after getting involved in a car accident;
- Make sure you visit the doctor after getting involved in a car accident even though there are no physical injuries
- Never admit being at fault for the accident even though you feel responsible for it
- Within twenty four hours, report the accident to your insurance company
- If you were injured, ensure you file a claim with your insurance company not more than three days of getting involved in a car accident
- If the other party questions you, ensure that you do not give recorded statements because they might end up being used against you
- Document what you can remember about the accident and take some pictures too. You should trying doing this at the scene of the accident before you leave
- Make sure you consult with your attorney before accepting any settlement offer an insurance company would offer you
Damages In A Car Accident Lawsuit
One major reason anyone would file a claim after a car accident is to get reimbursement for losses. You can get such reimbursement through monetary damages awards that a court orders. The aim of this award is to compensate individuals or accident victims for damages or losses that they must have suffered in a car accident. The damages a court would award would cover for;
- Lost of future earning capacity or lost of income
- Hospital stays, medical bills and additional medical expenses
- Wrongful death expenses
- Damage of property caused by the car accident
- Pain and suffering
Like you know, getting financial compensation after getting involved in a car accident would help an accident victim greatly and this is why you have to be aware of the deadlines when it comes to filing a personal injury claim. You need to be cautious of the time you have to file a claim so you don’t miss out on the opportunity of getting compensated. Just as any legal claim, missing out on a deadline can prove to be costly. However, it is still possible for you to get a time extension if you are not able to file a claim or could not meet up with the deadline.
You should also have it in mind that extensions can only be accepted in certain situations. For instance, if as a result of the accident you get incapacitated and could not meet up with the deadline then the court would grant an extension for you to file a claim. There are other exceptions that could be available but you first need to speak with an attorney to know what options you have.