You would need to take your car to a repair shop if you have been involved in a car accident so repairs can be done on the damaged parts of the car and since almost everyone would need to continue with their everyday routine of going to work or probably running some errands for the family, they would certainly need transportation. This is when a rental becomes very important. Rental insurance would only take few dollars per month and this sort of insurance is worth it when you really need to move around. The question is how long will insurance pay for rental car. This question is one that is frequently being asked by motorists nowadays.
How Long Will Insurance Pay For Rental Car
However, GEICO believes auto companies should have a time limit regarding how long insurance companies should pay for rental cars but this is also dependent on the insurance company and the policy. When making reservations, it is very important that you check with your insurer for more detailed information. Large insurance companies would pay up for rental cars for as long as thirty days but this is also dependent on the company. The next question you might be phased with is going about getting a rental car after your own car has been involved in an accident and needs to be repaired before it is certified road worthy again.
- Paying for a rental car is one of the cost the insurance company of any negligent driver should be ready and willing to pay. The insurance company of the negligent driver is also responsible for providing you with a car after an accident pending till when yours leaves the repair shop and if it happens that your vehicle is labeled as a total loss then the insurance company is also mandated to provide you with a rental car till yours is replaced. Paying the cost of the rental car is also part of the settlement you would get.
- If you are the cause of the accident or if you are the only one involved in the accident that damaged your car then you can go on to file a claim for rental reimbursement with your own insurance company. This claim can only be filed if your insurance policy carries rental insurance on it.
One thing we would also want you to carefully take a look at is the benefit and losses that comes with filing a rental car claim with your insurance company instead of the other drivers insurance company;
- Filing a claim with your own insurance company might make the processing quicker than when you file with another insurance company. Finding out who is at fault in a car accident might take quite some time so you can go straight away and file a rental car claim with your insurance company and you will get the car immediately.
- Even if the other driver is at fault for the accident, filing a claim with your insurance company means the reimbursement amount that you would get would be based on purchased coverage in your policy. If the amount for rental goes above the maximums in your policy then you might have no other choice than to pay for it out of your pocket.
- Your policy’s daily rate might not be sufficient to cover up for the price of a rental car
- If the other driver is negligent then his insurance company is mandated to pay for the rental car
Getting A Vehicle That Is Similar To Yours
The insurance company is going to contact the rental company once a claim has been filed and rental is needed. The rental company would give you a call to find out what car exactly you need and depending on what kind of services they offer, they would either have it delivered to you or you make out time when you can go pick it up. The insurance company paying for the cost of rental car determines the size of car and type of car you would be getting and if it is your insurance company that is paying for the rental car then you would be reimbursed with the daily amount that your policy carries.
Last thing we want to talk about is how long you can keep a rental car but the truth is you can actually keep a rental car as long as yours still remains in the repair shop. However, the insurance company covering the cost will only permit that for a reasonable time frame and it is also the job of the adjuster to create a time frame on the number of days it would take to get yours repaired.